“Now to Him who is able to do far more abundantly beyond all that we ask or think, according to the power that works within us.”

Embrace the Change

October 3rd, 2013 by Grace in Inspirations

Autumn reminds us of the beauty found with the changing of seasons.  Wouldn’t it be wonderful if we could be as enthusiastic of the beauty that change brings to our own lives?  I believe that’s sometimes difficult because our human nature tends to resist change.

Recently, I’ve been doing a lot of reflecting on what change really means.  I’ve been a mother for over 28 years.  When my oldest daughter married five years ago, it took me some time to adjust to the change of not having her live home anymore.  Now, I’m preparing for another big change that is bittersweet. My second daughter is most likely going away to grad school and my youngest will be going away to college in 2014.  I’m beginning to truly understand the whole “empty nest” feeling that many of my friends have been talking about.

The other day, while I was throwing a pity party for myself, I heard the Holy Spirit say in my heart loud and clear, “Embrace the change!” In those three simple words I understood that instead of having an attitude of sadness and worry, have an attitude of joy and wonder for my daughters. I decided at that very moment to become part of the change with them. The Holy Spirit helped me realize that I’m actually very excited for their future endeavors, even if it means they won’t be living at home anymore.

Change is a part of life and there’s no getting away from it.  Someone once said, “The key to change is… to let go of fear.” Sometimes changes come unexpectedly and sometimes we see them coming. Sometimes things change for the better and sometimes for the worse.  No matter what the change is, if we trust God, the creator of the universe, He will help us adjust to every challenge we face. God promised us in Jeremiah 29:11 “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans for a future filled with hope.” When change comes knocking at our door and it takes us out of our comfort zone, embrace God’s promises and He’ll supply an abundance of peace that surpasses human understanding.

10 Responses to “Embrace the Change”

1. I will always consider “home” your house mom..there is no better place to be! Best food, best family & I am only 5 minutes away. I love you always & forever. You are my number one inspiration & your always my # 1 fan. Love you Mom! xo

• Grace says:

Danielle, thank you! Your words are the greatest gift I could ever ask for from you. I’m so blessed to have the honor of being a part of your journey in this life. I’m in constant awe watching God’s plan for your life unfold.

2. Teri Quirke says:

This article inspired me in so many ways, being a woman who dislikes change, I realize that we must learn to accept in a positive way what God throws our way! Change is hard for all if us, ” fear of the unknown” but Grace you point out hear the importance of turning a negative into a positive….and who knows, maybe once we open that door we may actually like what is behind it! That is what I took out of this article your wrote and thanks Grace for such inspiring words!

• Grace says:

That’s a great point, Teri. When I read your comment I immediately thought of Romans 8:28, “And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.” We have to trust that God will use every situation, even the seemingly negative ones for our greater good.

3. Beautiful post, Grace! If we’re not changing, then we’re not living! But I too resist change – I always have. Unless, of course, it’s a change that I planned or hoped for. When it’s a ‘surprise’ change, I always resist first. I’ve got to learn to “embrace the change” as the Holy Spirit so wisely shared with you. Thank you for the reminder.

• Grace says:

Your comment about “If we’re not changing, then we’re not living!” is so true, Theresa. We change everyday whether we realize it or not. We grow older each day. If we’re not, then what’s the alternative? So, let’s embrace the change!

4. Maryann says:

This is so appropriate for me right now. My oldest son recently got engaged and is making his wedding plans.We are so lucky that he is including us in his plans & inviting us to see the halls he is interested in.I love his fiance am so happy for them but know my home will have a void when he leaves. I am trying to Embrace the Change and realize we are blessed with a new extended family. I will also hopefully be blessed one day with grandchildren. One year for mothers day I received a plaque that still hangs in my kitchen, it reads , There are two things we can give Our Children one is Roots, the other is Wings. We all want our children to
    prosper and grow and we Must Trust in God that there journey will be blessed .

5. Maryann says:

PS. You always seem to discuss a subject that relates to what I am going through at that time.Thank you for your constant inspiration .

6. Teresa says:

Hi Grace,
    They say change is good but you are right, people are afraid of change. Childlike trust in God helps us embrace change for we know all that comes from God is good. I recently told someone a quote I heard from you a long time ago. Dead fish float with the current, only living fish swim against the current. That is living, embracing currents, change, and knowing all things work together for good for those who love God. Website looks great.

7. Christina Daquila says:

Dear Mommy,
    I understand that you had fear of losing all three daughters around the same time, but you know we’re never going anywhere! Thanks to you I know to never fear change and embrace whatever God throws my way. I know I can handle any situation in life with God and you right there by my side. I have been blessed with a mother like you and who has made God my top priority.You and Dad have always been my supporters in everything I do, and that always meant so much to me. I can’t wait to see what college and this new chapter in my life brings. I wouldn’t be able to do this without you, thank you! Love you xoxo! – Chrissy